Artifact is the highest level of item quality in World of Warcraft, above legendary. Although speculation of these items are documented across fan sites and the official World of Warcraft website, no such items have ever been available to players in the released game.
Artifacts are also the term used for famous and legendary items in lore. Famous artifacts aren't necessarily of artifact quality in World of Warcraft, however. Several items that are said to be artifacts according to lore, as stated in Warcraft II-III or the RPG, are epic quality or less in World of Warcraft. For example, .
Additional notes Edit
- Artifacts do not exist in WoW, and can't normally be linked.
- It has previously been stated that artifacts are red, but the color currently used is pale gold, according to API GetItemQualityColor in version 3.0.3.
- Heirloom items currently share the same in-game color as artifacts. They are special, scalable, Bind to Account, items introduced with Wrath of the Lich King. These items are usable by any character on your account and their stats will scale with that characters level, becoming the equivalent of a equal level rare quality item. However, it seems that heirloom items are in fact artifacts: whenever you try to mail one of them to an existing character you don't own you recieve an error message which reads "artifacts can only be mailed to your own characters".
- According to an older version of the Item Basics page on the WoW website, the names of artifact quality items were planned to appear in red. A listing for Artifacts no longer appears on this page however. The red-linked version still exists in archive form under the dates Jul 15, 2005 through Jun 15, 2007.
Blizzard statements Edit
List of artifact items Edit
- , GM Weapon
- , GM shirt
- , GM artifact ring
- , GM artifact single item version of set. Not to be confused with the player obtainable The Twin Blades of Azzinoth
- , GM Weapon
- GM Weapon
It should be noted that since GameMasters are not connected to the physical game world of warcraft, and simply operate on a text based user interface, none of these items actually exist and are merely based on creation date fan-fiction. Thus there are currently no artifact level items currently in existance and the above list is theoretical only.
Frostmourne will be brought in as an Epic quality item as the posts above show there will not be Artifacts at the Level 80 band.
When artifacts are actually implemented for players, they will likely be changed from the pale gold now shared with heirlooms. It is likely that they will change to the previously planned red.