Epic is the level of item quality in between Rare and Legendary. Epic quality items can be found in end-game instances, from various professions, world drops, and reputation purchases. While Legendary quality items appear in the game, most WoW players will never get one and only even see them on occasion.
Many epics are part of the Armor Sets, which are coordinated sets of class-specific armor that provide excellent bonuses. These are frequently referred to as Tier 0, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, etc. In addition, there are quite a few non-raid items, sometimes called "Epics for casuals" (Epics for casual players pre-Burning Crusade, Epics for casual players in Burning Crusade , or Epics for casual players in Wrath of the Lich King), that are available.
- The names of Epic quality items will appear in purple, and are sometimes playfully termed "purpz".
- Equippable items of Epic quality always have one or more attribute bonuses or procs.
- Few ingredient items are of Epic quality.
- Mounts can be Rare, Epic or Legendary. In general, players ride an epic mount, as there is only one Legendary mount in the game, the Black Qiraji Resonating Crystal.
- Most epic mounts can be purchased by any player for 100 or less (in addition to faction discounts), whereas riding training costs much more but only needs to be purchased once.
- There are a few epic class items that drop randomly out in the world, such as the Bow of Searing Arrows. These are commonly referred to as "BOE (Bind on Equip) Epics."
- The web color code for epic itemlinks is #b048f8.